Friday, September 22, 2006

Feeling tired

I feel tired. I have been trying so hard and for such a long time that I have decided to say: enough. This is election year in Brazil. We must vote for president, state governors, senators, federal congressmen and state congressmen.
I feel that I am not voting for president Lula. I will possibly vote for Heloísa Helena, an outspoken female senator from the small Northeasten State of Alagoas - by accident the same state I was born in and into. But that is not the reason I am voting for her. I wiil vote for her just as a way not to vote for Lula.
Lula decieved me, betrayed me, has let me down. He has given the country what the country did not ask for, namely, a highly neo-liberal agenda. He forgot people and has direted his Government to what can be sold, exchanged or turned into a commodity.
The environmental agenda is very important for me. He did little about that. Instead he wants to spend billions of US dollars in a project to get the San Francisco River out of its bed and forcing the river to make a long trip through the land of several different states. That is a way to fight droughts and bring "development". There is no ecological understanding of this.
Powerplants are also high in his agenda. Every Brazilian river that can be made to produce electricity, will have a powerplant. No deep questions. Brazilian rivers are losing fish species as population grows. Dams are killing the rivers. And yet that is where the big money is.
Now also comes the biodiesel idea. Brazil will have to produce extra sugar cane, castor seeds, soy beans in order to supply the world with Brazilian miracle fuel. These are some of the reasons I will not vote for Lula, again. Even though I think he will win election. What he will do is another problem. I see his second term in office as very troublesome and the country will suffer in the end.

No comments: